How To File For Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

It's much more difficult to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy since the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act came into effect in 2005. This act added many requirements to Arizona bankruptcy law and navigating the new laws pretty much requires a Tucson lawyer experienced in Chapter 7 bankruptcy. At Judge Law Firm, we will guide you from start to finish.

The first step in filing is to get consumer credit counseling from a nonprofit agency approved by the U.S. trustee. You can obtain a list of approved agencies from the bankruptcy court for your district. This counseling is mandated by bankruptcy law and must be completed no more than 180 days before filing.

If You Live In Tucson, A Lawyer Is Best For Navigating Arizona Bankruptcy Law

The next step, when you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, is to complete the official forms. These forms are available at some stores, or you can download them online. You can also purchase software to complete and print the official forms.

But, when you live in the Tucson area, the best way to ensure Chapter 7 forms are completed properly is to hire a Tucson lawyer like Jeffrey P. Judge. He is an expert in Arizona bankruptcy law and can guide you through all the complexities of Chapter 7 bankruptcy forms. Without a lawyer, you are left to read, understand and interpret bankruptcy law on your own. Most people who attempt this do not complete the forms correctly or do not get all the advantages and exemptions they are entitled to.

Whether you hire an attorney or complete the forms yourself, when you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy you next need to take the completed forms to the bankruptcy court in Tucson, or whichever bankruptcy court serving your area. Filing fees total about $335 and must be paid at the time of filing. In extreme cases, the court may allow you to pay court fees in installments.

File For Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and Information You Need To Gather

To file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you must submit documents to prove your identity and financial situation.

To prepare your filing, you'll need these documents:

  • Driver's license, state or military ID, or passport
  • Social Security card, a W-2 or notice displaying your full Social Security number
  • Most recent orders for child support and/or family support
  • Pay stubs for the last seven months
  • Documentation for all other income
  • Three years of state and federal tax returns
  • Two most recent statements for all debts, including unexpired leases and contracts
  • Latest billing from homeowners association
  • List of all loans from or debts to friends, family, business and other people, including all co-signed debts
  • Documentation of any taxes, court fines or restitution you owe
  • Documentation of any wage garnishments or lawsuits you're involved in
  • Documentation of any and all other forms of debts or money owed, including child support you owe
  • Statements (four most recent) from all financial institutions where you have accounts
  • Statements from all retirement and investment accounts
  • Registration for any and all vehicles you own
  • Property tax statement or deed for all real property you own
  • List of all household goods and personal property

Praise From Our Clients

Judge Law Firm is on your side.

Schedule your meeting today.

Are your debts a temporary setback or a roadblock to your family’s future? To learn more about how we can help, call 520-388-5665 right now, or fill out the form below.